Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Filling in the gaps

I hinted that I might fill in a little of what happened in the 8 months that this blog was mostly dormant. So, here's the CliffsNotes version.

July-September 2010: Earnestly trying to put together my portfolio for promotion at work. Huge job, lots of stress.

Two days after portfolio deadline:
Found out I was pregnant.

Two weeks later: Ultrasound revealed not one but TWO BABIES. Seriously?

A few days later:
Morning sickness is kicking my ass and I start trying to make arrangements to cut back at work.

A few days later: Forget cutting back at work, I need to QUIT. My OB sets me up with a home-health nursing service so that I can have Zofran (anti-nausea drug) on a continuous pump and round-the-clock IV hydration.

October-December:
Sick, sick, sick... but thankful to be able to hibernate at home through the worst of it.

January-March: Feeling human again, though very pregnant. I heard somewhere that with multiples, you go straight from 1st trimester to third (then beyond), and that's what it felt like. Only while mom feels "full-term" big, the babies aren't ready to safely greet the world. It's a tricky, careful time. Books and websites said this was the time when many would be heading for bedrest; this mama was headed back to work. It wasn't easy, but I was lucky to have no medical complications to force me home.

April: In the last month or so of pregnancy, I gradually gave up walking, then standing, then even sitting upright... which finally meant no more work. My OB was ready to schedule an induction the day I hit 37 weeks, but (with her blessing and the support of my perinatologist) we decided to hold out a few days longer for May.

May 2, 2011:



May 3, 2011:

No comments: