Friday, February 22, 2008

So much for that post...

I've waited all day to post the daycare verdict of the week. Things had been getting steadily better and better at Ms. D's, and I was excited to share the great news. He went from mostly fussy, to playing independently as long as the older kids were napping, to playing with the big kids here and there, to napping (granted, in the swing) and taking a bottle... I was feeling so good that I wanted to post mid-day, but I was afraid to jinx anything by celebrating before the day was done. So sure that we were ending the week on a great note, I had butterflies in my stomach as I drove to pick Noah up this afternoon. And then the schtuff hit the fan. It seems Ms. D had the worst day imaginable, bad enough to taint all the progress Noah had made on Wednesday and Thursday. The verdict of the week took a nose-dive: if things don't get a lot better really soon, she's not going to be able to keep him. I was totally caught off-guard! WHA?!? I'm sure he did have a miserably fussy afternoon (I've seen those before) and I have to say I understand where she's coming from. It's stressful to listen to him cry and not be able to fix it, it's a pain in the neck (and back and shoulders) to hold him nonstop, and it's not fair to the other kids in her care.

But the real question is: what next? What if this really doesn't work out? I had such a good feeling about it, it's hard to accept that my intuition might have been flat-out wrong. And, above all, it's heartbreaking to think about how hard this all is on sweet Noah.

No comments: